September 13, 1944 – 384th BG Mission 194.
The 384th Bomb Group Mission 194 was also known as Eighth Air Force Mission 628.
The Buslee crew flew this mission aboard aircraft 43-38016, Lorraine.
The primary target was the oil industry in Merseburg, Germany.
- Commander – William A. Fairfield, Jr.
- Pilot – John Oliver Buslee
- Navigator – Kenneth S. Lord
- Bombardier – Donald L. Ward
- Radio Operator/Gunner – Albert K. Sherriff
- Engineer/Top Turret Gunner – Lenard Leroy Bryant
- Ball Turret Gunner – Irving L. Miller
- Tail Gunner – Lloyd E. La Chine
- Waist Gunner – George Edwin Farrar (my dad)
Not the normal Buslee crew at all. With William A. Fairfield, Jr. as Commander and John Oliver Buslee as Pilot, the regular Co-Pilot, David Franklin Albrecht, did not fly.
Donald L. Ward replaced James B. Davis on this flight. Davis flew as part of the Joe Carnes crew.
Albert K. Sherriff replaced Sebastiano Joseph Peluso. Irving L. Miller replaced Erwin V. Foster as Ball Turret Gunner as he had three times before. Lloyd E. La Chine replaced Eugene D. Lucynski as Tail Gunner.
The only regular Buslee crew members on this flight were Buslee, Bryant, and Farrar. Rybarczyk, Peluso, Foster, and Lucynski did not fly this mission.
Source: Sortie Report, Aircraft Photo
© Cindy Farrar Bryan and The Arrowhead Club, 2013