August 12, 1944 – 384th BG Mission 178
The 384th Bomb Group Mission 178 was also known as Eighth Air Force Mission 545.
The Buslee crew flew this mission aboard aircraft 42-38013, Nevada Avenger.
The primary target was German Air Force (Luftwaffe) Airfields in La Perthe, France.
- Pilot – John Oliver Buslee
- Co-Pilot – David Franklin Albrecht
- Navigator – Chester A. Rybarczyk
- Bombardier – James B. Davis
- Radio Operator/Gunner – Sebastiano Joseph Peluso
- Engineer/Top Turret Gunner – Lenard Leroy Bryant
- Ball Turret Gunner – Erwin V. Foster
- Tail Gunner – Eugene D. Lucynski
- Waist Gunner – George Edwin Farrar (my dad)
A repeat of the same Buslee crew members from the prior two missions, and right on the heels of Mission 177 the day before. Most of the Buslee crew would get a twelve-day break after this mission and not fly together again until August 24. Co-Pilot David Franklin Albrecht would fill in on the Raymond J. Gabel crew on the August 18 Mission 182 to Vise, Belgium during the break.
Source: Sortie Report and Photo
© Cindy Farrar Bryan and The Arrowhead Club, 2013